The eyes are one of the most fragile and sensitive areas of your body. They need to be taken care of in the best possible way. You might buy contact lenses online and wear them to ensure better vision clarity with enhanced vision correction. But they can also harm your eyes if you do not maintain the required hygiene and care.
Statistically, most people wearing contact lenses, occasionally or regularly, take a very casual approach to their daily care. Consequently, there is an increase in the number of people experiencing contact lens-related eye problems.
However, all of these can be mitigated by adopting a few easy daily habits like:
- Hand washing: The cleaner your hands are, the better will be the hygiene maintained. Before touching the contact lenses, either to take them off or wear them, you should always wash your hands with non-lotion soap. Dry them using a lint-free cloth or paper towels etc. else, lint from the towels and other cloth might stick to the lens, causing your eyes to experience irritation.
- Never sleep with lenses on: If you want to have to sleep with contact lenses on, you should mention the same to your medical practitioner and get the same prescribed. Normally the contact lenses prescribed are not for wearing overnight, and the same should be avoided at all costs. Else this will lead to eye infections and ailments, which might also take a serious turn.
- Always use a saline solution: Contact lenses should be kept in a saline solution prescribed for the same. Using water to either store or clean them can be harmful since the micro-organisms present in the water might lead to eye infections.
- Lens case care: Your lens case, where you store your contact lenses when you are wearing them, also needs to be cleaned using the saline solution regularly. Wash your hands before cleaning them too.
- Never overwear: All contact lenses are meant for specific time-wear. Overwearing them beyond that will cause problems like reddening of the eyes, swelling, or even irritation and watering of the eyes.
- Backup glasses: It makes good sense if you have a pair of backup glasses ready for times when you want to take a break from wearing contact lenses.
- Be cautious when applying eye makeup: You should avoid applying makeup inside your eyes. Eyeliners worn on the inner eye lining infect the eyes and contaminate the contact lenses and should be avoided.
- Red eyes: There might be times when your eyes become red, start watering, or you might experience irritation in your eyes. Avoid wearing contact lenses during these times. Keep them immersed in saline solutions till your eyes become normal and healthy before attempting to wear your contacts regularly.
- Contact lenses are private, never share them: Irrespective of whether you wear your contacts for cosmetic purposes or vision correction, sharing them with family and friends is a crime. Never even think of doing it.
The above-mentioned points, when followed, will ensure the health of your eyes and the longevity of your lenses.